The New Israel Fund’s founders wanted to connect with Israel in a way that reflected their progressive values, and thousands of Israelis and supporters of Israel worldwide have joined with us for that reason.
We believe in an Israel where the Jewish people achieve self-determination in their homeland and where everyone participates in a shared and just society, predicated on the best values of Judaism, humanism and progressive democracy. Our ideals are equality, tolerance and social justice.
In 2010, the Board of Directors of the New Israel Fund voted for the following set of Principles to define our worldview and our mission.
- Achieve equality for all the citizens of the state regardless of religion, national origin, race, gender or sexual orientation.
- Realise the civil and human rights of all individuals and groups through the protection of Palestinian citizens and other marginalised minorities, including the advancement of collective rights, and opposition to all forms of discrimination and bigotry;
- Recognise and reinforce the essential pluralism of Israeli society and tolerance for diversity.
- Protect the access of minorities to democratic channels for the expression of their interests and identities and the promotion of their rights;
- Empower civil society in Israel as the fundamental vehicle of an open society.
- Build and maintain a just society at peace with itself and its neighbours.